8.22.2007

Flowers and Flour

Sweet arrangement from housemartin.

I’ve had a lot of different jobs over the years but my two favorites by far were working for a florist in high school and my stint as a baker in college at a summer camp in the Princess Louisa Inlet. Both of these jobs were hard. I’m always amazed at how much raw physical work can go into creating items that are quickly consumed like a perfect loaf of bread.

From time to time, I fantasize about quitting my job in corporate America to open a little flower shop. But as the daughter of a professional musician, I grew up watching my father’s complex struggle with earning a living from the thing that is his greatest passion. So I always wonder, when the thing you love the most becomes your livelihood, how does that change your enjoyment of it… So for now, I’ll just ogle the beautiful flower arrangements over at housemartin.

2 comments:

swell.life said...

Hello! I just discovered your blog through design mom. So happy I did, it's beautiful! I love this photo. I can definitely relate to taking risks in turning your passions into a livelihood...I've always wanted to be a professional designer, or scrapbooker, or event planner, or something creative...but I'm too much of a control freak to take that sort of plunge.

Tamami from Coco&Me said...

in germany I discovered a flower shop with a cake shop attached! maybe you can do both?!