8.27.2009

Audrey Week -- Birthday Party Planning

Audrey turns six next week and we're gearing up for her big birthday celebration!

I am a huge, huge birthday person. Growing up, my mother always made us feel like the most important person in the world on our birthday -- there was singing when we woke up, a special breakfast, lots of little gifts and a dinner of our choice, and sometimes a party too!

I knew I wanted to carry on this same feeling when I had my own kids, so starting with Audrey's first birthday we wanted to make everything feel extra special. (Not extravagant mind you, but special -- I'm a big believer that "special" doesn't have to be expensive or complicated...)

Each year, Audrey and I start talking about her birthday in July (what kind of party she wants to have, if she wants co-ed or just girls), then I start looking around for inspiration.*

*Let me just pause here to say that I am constantly blown away by the sheer creativity out there when it comes to throwing great birthday parties. There is no shortage of inspiration. Need proof? Check out this brilliant Frida Kahlo party or this Where The Wild Things Are one, or how about this lovely Peter Pan soiree. See...amazing, no?

Last year we went with a "girls only" woodland fairy bash, but since Audrey's at a new school and wanted a chance to reconnect with her old classmates, we opted to do a co-ed party this year. Audrey wanted an Alice in Wonderland theme, so watched the movie together to figure out what part of it we wanted to focus on for the decorations and ultimately decided on a Queen of Hearts motif...

The plan is to use the photos below as inspiration for the cupcakes + we'll have loads of red balloons, and I'm making a little "chandelier" for over the table using red and white Chinese lanterns and tissue balls, red heart garland and red heart playing cards.

I also managed to find an Alice in Wonderland bouncy house, so we're set for some sweaty, jumping fun. The party is next Saturday... I'll be sure to post lots of pics of the actual event!

images via cupcake social


I've had these photos in my inspiration folder for a while but can't find a source...if anyone recognizes where they came from let me know and I'll post asap!

19 comments:

Unknown said...

What lovely idea! I can't wait to see the new movie with Johnny Depp.

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I don't know where the pics came from, but I do have the cupcake holder and it's from Target...

kristine

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

This is going to be a spectacular party!

Cassie said...

How lovely it sounds! I'm a sucker for special birthday parties too. We're gearing up for my eldest turning 5 in October and I'm already collecting ideas as well. She's stuck on the idea of horses, so it sounds like we're doing a western themed party.

Can't wait to see the photos of Audrey's

Joanna said...

What a great mommy you are! I think the Alice in Wonderland theme is a fantastic idea for a birthday party. What a lucky girl Audrey is.

I adore birthdays and try to look at them more as opportunities for growth rather than reminders that I'm getting older. My own birthday is this Saturday, so I'm a fellow Virgo. Happy Birthday, Audrey!

Marie said...

How fun! Can't wait to see the pics (and the movie)

frenchie said...

wow!it sounds like it's going to be a birthday party to remember!
i'm being lazy and as i am born on St patrick's day i usually just meet my friends in an Irish pub!

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

So cute! I love anything Alice in Wonderland themed! I can't wait for the new movie either!!!

xoxo

Blair Friedeman said...

Oh, what great inspiration! Love the invite.

Christine Vi said...

That's such a creative idea! My first thought was to use Chinese red lanterns (you can get them pretty cheap!). I never had big birthdays and so I want to make birthdays special for my children when I get married. These are some great ideas!

Flora said...

I LOVE Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Such a great idea for a party!

Polly Rowan said...

Wowee what a LOVELY idea. And I adore the Queen of Hearts motif thing. The invite is gorgeous. xx

Estelle Hayes said...

Alice in Wonderland was my all time favortie book as a kid. I just found my well-loved copy and I'm saving it for my daughter. Love your theme and can't wait to see the photos.

Miss | A said...

Have you seen "Phoebe in Wonderland"? oh, you might cry. we watched it a few weeks ago. loved it. Sad too though, but happy too. Check it out. ***Not for the kids though.

Our Green Nest said...

My mother was the same way - so special! :) I am trying to carry that on with Lovebug. I CANNOT wait to see pics of Audrey's party...you know I love parties and ALL the details!

pve design said...

On of my favorite books of all time.
What a wonderful b-day party, hope the b-day gal wears a "Mad Hatter" - made of paper and lots of fun things!
pve

Kristin said...

I can't wait to see those pics! it sounds like it's going to be a great party!

erika said...

Hi, great to read you liked our Frida party ;-)

Love your ideas for the Alice in wonderland party, we had one for my dayghters 5th birthday and we painted porcelain tea-sets from Ikea, here you can find some pictures of our party http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikodesign/sets/72157603950614809/

I know I have seen those cupcakes too,I will think hard and perhaps I can remember.
Have fun with the party ;-)

Joslyn said...

erika -- your alice in wonderland party is GENIUS. You throw amazing, amazing parties. what lucky girls you have!