4.07.2010

Plants, Pasta and a Little Q&A...

I thinking this insect poster would be perfect for above Audrey's bed, no?

Audrey is petrified of bugs.

Understandable when it comes to spiders and fire ants and whatnot, but the child is scared of the harmless ones too...the mere sight of a moth or a gnat sends her over the edge. It's really quite something. But her fear is tempered with a sort of fascination. Yesterday Bryan got stung multiple times by a wasp, and after it was dead, she insisted he put it in a jar so she could examine it all day.

They broke the mold with that kid, I'm telling you.

Needless to say, Audrey's bug phobia makes our current efforts to do a little backyard gardening a smidge challenging... One of the things I miss the most from our last house is the little greenhouse we had in the backyard. Our current home is surrounded by rather large trees, which is amazing for all sorts of reasons, but not so good for gardening. There isn't a single perfect (sunny enough) spot for raised beds, so we end up planting a few container "gardens" in strategic bright spots around the yard instead.

This year we have tomatoes, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries, and we're staring to see some progress...the girlies are loving it -- that is when the yard is bug free. So really Millie and Bryan and I are loving it.



Oh and my peonies are getting close to blooming which is awfully fun too!

In other news around the blogosphere, the lovely Jenn asked me to contribute a photo to her "what are you eating" post last week...you can see my orecchiette with sausage, asparagus and spinach* here.

+ the incredibly kind Alisa asked me to contribute my "happy things" over on her fantastic blog a pina colada... in case you want to take a peek ;-)

Thanks for having me ladies!

* p.s. -- orecchiette with sausage, asparagus and spinach recipe here...

17 comments:

Shayna said...

1. I love that poster. I might need it.
2. Are those really your tomato plants for this year? I'm still waiting for the ground to warm up...
3. I'm incredibly jealous of your peonies.
4. yum!!!!

Kate said...

that poster is amazing, even though I too have a terrible bug phobia! nyc cockroaches are a tough thing to handle for me.

We Blog Artists said...

It's funny with little ones...our eldest is somewhat like that with things that fly, but dig up the earth and she's be pulling it apart looking for creepy crawlies.
I love that poster, and can't believe you have peonies already...we're just starting to see magnolia trees blosoming!
HUGS
Char

Alisa: a pina colada said...

Thanks for being a guest today, joslyn! You're fabulous! Xoxo

Rachel said...

Hmmmmm...maybe try introducing her to some cute bugs gently? I always loved tiny inchworms (usually on the tomato leaves) and ladybugs are pretty harmless looking.

Although she'll probably just grow out of it!

jennifer little said...

Thanks for the tip on the awesome poster! I just ordered it and the bird one for my July baby's nursery!!

Ana Degenaar said...

I loved your post over at Happy Things, I feel like I've known you forever. Have a gorgeous day!

Polly Rowan said...

Oh poor little Audrey! :( That insect poster is so lovely though! Maybe it would be like therapy having it over her bed! haha, I don't think she'd like it very much.
Aww peonies are my favourite flowers. Please post a picture when they're bloomed!
xx

Stephanie said...

Joslyn...recipe please? :)

xo

Joslyn said...

hey steph

recipe here ;-)http://raisingfoodies.blogspot.com/2009/09/birthday-dinner.html

xox
jos

Kim in the Cove said...

That pasta is rockin'!!! We make it all the time - and I picked it for the menu for my cooking club which meets at my house this month. I wanted everyone else to find out who scrumptious it is!

Engracia said...

Great poster, needless to say my boys would love it! We have deadly spiders in our yard in summer (funnell webs) and they are absolutely fascinated with trying to find these deadly residents, ah Australia, got to love it.
Cheers
Engracia
xx

Emma said...

Love the insect poster. I'm new to your blog and love your about me...succulents, strong coffee, 70s pottery, Ilse Crawford...such great things!

Moodboard said...

I just made this for dinner:) The boy's first real meal since flu poisoning/stomach flu incident and he loved it!

Unknown said...

Love the poster. Just got finished studying insects and such for the year. My daughter is terrified of bees and wasps and almost refuses to go outside this time of year.
Blessings
Diane

paula said...

the poster is beautiful. My peonies have yet to bloom. this will be its 3rd year. so sad.

Unknown said...

Great poster! and your gplants looks lovely...I love container gardens! I used old wine crates last year and they worked pretty well for lettuce & herbs...