7.02.2010

Blogger's Favorites -- Liz Stanley of Say Yes to Hoboken

Every once in a while you meet someone and are immediately struck buy their, well…energy.

You know…it’s the person that you chat with for maybe just a few minutes and then instantly know that they are a complete dynamo -- you can just see it in their eyes, right?

This was pretty much the scene when I met Liz at Alt earlier this year. There was something about her… She was like a totally passionate, lovely (little) ball of energy. It was infectious. Oh and she also happened to have the most cleverly named blog of all time.

I was thinking about this a while back after checking out one of her DIY projects (specifically this project featured above, pretty genius, no?) and trying to put her particular brand of “je ne sais quoi” into words. Then I read this post by Liz’s sister-in-law Jordan and thought, yes, exactly! According to Jordan, they have a saying around her house that when you are getting tons of stuff done then you are "Lizzing it."Perfect!

So in honor of Liz, I'm planning to celebrate the 4th with hot dogs, homemade pie, swimming, fireworks, and…at least one highly productive, creative project. We’ll see how that goes ;-)

And if all else fails (or if I end up eating my weight in hot dogs), I can always live vicariously through Liz...

Without further ado, herewith Liz’s favorites. Enjoy and have a splendid holiday weekend!


Decorating our new place in San Francisco. I would have never thought I'd enjoy decorating as much as I now do. It's so fun to see how rooms evolve and mixing different styles and elements together to form something completely original and completely you.


Adventures. Something about spending time in a remote place (or even just an evening camping on the beach) makes you feel so alive. Currently, my husband is trying to convince me that this kayaking trip in Alaska should be next on the list.


Sewing Projects. There's something very liberating about working with textiles and patterns. For example, who would have thought this synthetic rose fabric I found at a yard sale last year would make a killer big bow pencil skirt?. I'm still a beginner but sewing is quickly becoming a favorite hobby of mine (and a creative way to continue my life long obsession with new clothes.)


San Francisco. We've been here a year and it's still such a magical place to live. Being a New Yorker, this is a little bit difficult to admit, but...if we ever had to leave you will have to drag me out kicking and screaming.

16 comments:

Meghan said...

"Lizzing it" I love it! I need to learn to sew.

Yanyan said...

I don't know why I have never left a comment on your beautiful blog, I have been following it, reading it and inspired by it for quite a long time. Your pencil skirt is beautiful, can't tell it is made by a beginner as you call it. San Francisco, my favorite city in US. I wish we could move there soon... Have a wonderful weekend. Yanyan

Honora said...

I went to high school with Liz, and I can tell you she was "lizzing it" even back then! Love her style, energy, and of course, her blog.

Ana Degenaar said...

This is such a coincidence, I just published a post about one of her DIYs, she is amazing!

Liz Stanley said...

Thanks Joslyn! What kind words

Fern and Feather said...

oh my goodness that skirt and rocker are both going to haunt me in my dreams. Rocker in the living room... dah!

love everything... beautiful list.

Stacey said...

Wonderful list. I would love to visit San Fran since i've never been and it sounds like it's a place worth visiting!

AmberLee said...

Liz is the greatest. So fun to see her here. and she makes sewing sound so seductive, doesn't she? i'm almost convinced.

my spatula said...

Agreed ... the magic of SF never fades. Happy 4th! xo.

seesaw designs said...

love the big bow pencil skirt!

Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

I'm with Liz in St. George right this minute and I can testify that even on vacation she's Lizzing it.

Adventures in Dressmaking said...

Nice! I love say YES to hoboken, such cute stuff!

suzi johnson said...

love love love the big bow pencil skirt. reminds me of best ports 1961 stuff.

Laura F said...

would love to see more pictures of liz's home (the cookie link does not work) - it is gorgeous. What color is the sofa (is that the petrie model from C&B) thx!

dulci said...

I love SF! So cool!!

http://ladulcivida.blogspot.com/

Meghan said...

What a great post! I love Liz's blog...she is amazing! I wish I did 1/100 of the stuff she does!